Before we begin to understand how to submit a sitemap to google, it is really important to know
A sitemap is an XML file that contains the URLs inside your blog. This file helps crawlers to find all of the URLs of your blog.
There are many aspects of a site that a crawler will follow, such as
The size of your sitemap
The number of URLs in your sitemap.
In short, a sitemap is a complete index of your blog that you want search engine bots to see.
How is a sitemap useful?
Some of the most important uses of sitemaps are:
Sitemaps make navigating the website easier.
Sitemaps are a very important way for a website to communicate with a search engine.
It gives better visibility to search engines.
For a normal website, we use an online sitemap generator to create a sitemap file(XML file) and submit it to webmaster tools offered by Google and Bing.
How to add a sitemap to your website for a WordPress site?
- Sign in to Google search console
Head over to the Google search console and select your website. Once you hit the submit button, Google will crawl your sitemap file and start crawling and indexing all the links listed in the submitted sitemap file.
- Select your Website
If you are using an old version of the Google search console, then follow the steps outlined below.
● Inside your Google Webmaster Tool dashboard, on the right-hand side, you will see an option called “Sitemaps”.
● Click on “More” to see all submitted sitemaps, or you can submit a new sitemap from there.
- Click on Sitemap from the left sidebar
- Add your Sitemap URL (Ex:sitemap_index.xml)
Click on “Add/Test Sitemap” to submit your sitemap file.
- Click submit
Depending on what type of sitemap you have generated, you can submit it from here.
THINGS TO REMEMBER –
- If you are running a site with lots of images, create an image sitemap.
- You can also create a video sitemap for your website.
- If you are submitting a sitemap for a new blog, it might take some time for you to see the index status.
ADVANTAGES OF SITEMAP?
Below listed are seven benefits of using Google sitemaps that you should not ignore
- Content Modification: You can only maintain higher ranks in the search engines if you keep modifying content on your site.
- Efficient Crawling: With a sitemap, the website can be efficiently and effectively crawled.
- Content Categorization: Sitemaps lets the pages carrying your most important content be crawled and indexed faster than those with a less priority value.
- Get Discovered: It helps you get discovered faster.
- Save Time: Some pieces of information should be delivered when still fresh, like news items. You don’t have to wait and guess when the spiders are likely to pay your website a visit. You tremendously cut on this time.
- Free service: Submitting your sitemap to Google doesn’t cost a penny.
- Learn About Your Visitors: Errors will be displayed so that you can fix traffic sources and even keyword searches. Using this information can help you improve your content and attract more traffic.
Did this work for you? let me know in the comments section or you can read more from our SEO knowledge base blogs. Want to increase your traffic or get a professional opinion? get in touch with me.